The Port of Lake Charles has the following position open:
Maintenance Specialist 1, 2 or 3/Electrician
The Port of Lake Charles is seeking candidates for the position of Port Facility Maintenance Specialist 1, 2 or 3 for multiple departments, as well as Electricians. The selected candidate(s) will perform basic to advanced level duties in the repair and maintenance of the Port’s heavy mobile equipment, vehicles, machinery and/or railroad systems; of highly skilled electrical maintenance, repairs and installations on the Port’s electrical systems and high voltage systems (over 660 volts) in accordance with the National Electric Code. Placement and salary will depend upon experience. These are full-time Civil Service position, which include benefits. No test is required.
Preferred qualifications include a wide variety of knowledge and experience such as:
- Maintenance of electrical, drive train, engines, hydraulics, and computer controlled systems; experience in the repair of heavy mobile equipment and/or fleet vehicles;
- Inspection and repair of railroad tracks and railroad switches, cleaning, lubricating and adjusting railroad switches, replacing railroad crossties, raising, tamping, and aligning railroad tracks; operation of backhoe, tamper, dozer, bush hog, dump truck and slope mower
- Performing scheduled and reactive corrective maintenance; providing maintenance needs on shift work, call outs and weekends; performing maintenance on bearings, pumps, conveyors, gearboxes; performing shaft and drive component alignment; reading blueprints and performing layout and fabrication; fabricating equipment guards, etc.; performing visual inspections; diagnosing equipment problems; reading and understanding repair manuals.
- Repair of industrial equipment, such as pumps, compressors, diesel equipment, turbines, etc., be proficient in welding and fabrication
- Electrician: Diagnosing malfunctioning systems and equipment using test equipment and hand tools; identify hazards, defects and needed repairs to electrical systems, equipment and components; install, repair and maintain motors, transformers, motor starters, lights, circuits and wiring in compliance with electrical codes and standards; Basic mechanical knowledge outside of the electrical trade and ability to read and understand blue prints and ladder logic.
A valid driver’s license and good driving record are required. Other preferred qualifications include the possession of ASE Certification, CDL and experience with diesel engine equipment.
Performance of duties for this position requires manual physical labor such as standing, stooping, bending, walking, pushing, pulling, climbing, and lifting 30 pounds or more, work outdoors in all types of weather; and work around waterfront.
Application for the position must be made online following the instructions below. Civil Service will provide this agency with a list of qualified candidates once the applications have been collected.
Log on to http://www.jobs.louisiana.gov Click on, “Find a Job,” then “Current Job Opportunities.” In the Search Box, type in either Port Facility Maintenance or Electrician. Click on the title for which you wish to apply, making sure it is for the Lake Charles Harbor & Terminal District. Click on the “Apply” tab and follow instructions.
It is strongly recommended that you complete the application thoroughly and include all previous work experience. This could make a difference in the level at which you may be hired, as well as the salary.
Closing date is May 1, 2018.